The first thing you notice is the mouth-watering cover: as soon as you flip open the lid, you half expect to find delicately sculpted Swiss chocolate: wrapped in gold foil rather than the digital storage medium that is a compact disc. However, the music it contains is equally delicious and not nearly as ephemeral. Brought to you by the professorial team behind the Golden Age Of American Rock'n'Roll (plus input from Mick Patrick), Early Girls Vol 2 continues our exploration of female pop in the early rock era and encompasses solo artists, girl groups and male vocalists fronted by a female lead. In common with the first volume, the emphasis is on Hot 100 hits, such as Ruby & the Romantics' stylish Our Day Will Come (a US no. 1), Lesley Gore's cry for independence You Don't Own Me, Peggy Lee's truly timeless Fever (heard here in phenomenal stereo), Dinah Washington's irresistible September In The Rain and The Exciters' torrid pop-soul innocence, Bobby's Girl, a Top 3 US hit in 1962. Incidentally, another goodie, April Stevens' kitsch Teach Me Tiger is being featured in a TV ad for a well- known cat food, and will probably receive a wider audience than when it first out (in the States only) in 1959 Ann-Margret's I just Don't Understand was a particular favourite of John Lennon's and a Beatles' version, recorded for the BBC 1963, was recently released on one of the "Anthology" volumes. Rockabilly singer Kent Westberry originally wrote I Just 1963, was recently released on one of the "Anthology" volumes. Rockabilly singer Kent Westberry originally wrote I Just Dont Understand as a harmonica instrumental for his friend Charlie McCoy but nothing came of it. Songwriter Marijohn Wilkin put words to the melody and Ann-Margret cut the song in Nashville, with McCoy on harmonica and Jerry Kennedy playing the first fuzz guitar licks-heard on a hit record. Damita Jo recorded the engaging answer record I'll Save The Last Dance For You, which reached the US Top 30 in the wake of the Drifters #1 Save The Last Dance For Me. Both records utilised the same arranger, Stan Applebaum, who astutely ensured that Jo's version was sufficiently different to merit airplay in its own right. In fact, there are those who prefer it to the Drifters' original. We leave you to decide. This sparkling set also contains several significant non-hits, most notably the little known original version of My Boy Lollipop by 16 year old Barbie Gaye, recorded some 7 years prior to Millie Small's million seller. We feel this alone is worth the price of the CD. Songwriter Ellie Greenwich (heard elsewhere on this CD as a member of the Raindrops), was so taken by the record that she named herself Ellie Gaye when she began making records in 1958. Also included is the rare Highland label version of Lonely Blue Nights, Rosie &The Originals' lost' follow-up to Angel Baby and Forgive Me by Babs Tino -surely a record that deserved a better fate than its minuscule chart placing. As always, we bring you premium audio quality and presentation to match. Please form an orderly queue!
- 01 Preview My Boy Lollipop - Barbie Gaye
- 02 Preview Tell Him - The Exciters
- 03 Preview Our Day Will Come - Ruby & The Romantics
- 04 Preview The Boy Next Door - The Secrets
- 05 Preview Every Beat Of My Heart - The Pips
- 06 Preview You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore
- 07 Preview The Street - Terry & The Tunisians
- 08 Preview Bobby's Girl - Marcie Blane
- 09 Preview Sugartime - The McGuire Sisters
- 10 Preview Cry Baby - Bonnie Sisters
- 11 Preview Tonight You Belong To Me - Patience & Prudence
- 12 Preview The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget - The Raindrops
- 13 Preview Fever - Peggy Lee
- 14 Preview September In The Rain - Dinah Washington
- 15 Preview I'll Save The Last Dance For You - Damita Jo
- 16 Preview Teach Me Tiger - April Stevens
- 17 Preview I Just Don't Understand - Ann-Margret
- 18 Preview I Met Him On A Sunday - The Shirelles
- 19 Preview Lonely Blue Nights - Rosie & The Originals
- 20 Preview Forgive Me (For Giving You Such A Bad Time) - Babs Tino
- 21 Preview A Thousand Stars - Kathy Young & The Innocents
- 22 Preview Let Me In - The Sensations
- 23 Preview Well, I Told You - The Chantels
- 24 Preview Lonely Nights - The Hearts
- 25 Preview Duchess Of Earl - The Pearlettes
- 26 Preview Move On - The Blossoms
- 27 Preview Letter Full Of Tears - Gladys Knight & The Pips
- 28 Preview What's A Matter Baby (Is It Hurting You) - Timi Yuro
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.
An inspired and well balanced selection. ★★★★
An enchanting CD.