The perceived wisdom regarding Dot Records is that the company built its business by getting clean-living, well-scrubbed white performers to cover and capitalise on predominantly black R&B hits of the day. This, of course, is a fairly one-dimensional view. For though Dot did score heavily with 'cover' versions in the period 1955-57, they also had original hits (Jim Lowe The Green Door and Sanford Clark The Fool to name but two). Also, it's arguable that many of the white 'cover' versions of R&B hits that were recorded actually expanded and developed the wider public interest in black music. Many young teenagers' parents would have frowned on their children buying, say, a Little Richard recording of Tutti Frutti whereas Pat Boone singing the song made it an acceptable choice. The subversive sting in the tale was that as the teenage taste for rock'n'roll grew, the kids got the message ahead of the adults and were soon able to sort out the wheat from the chaff. That said, Pat Boone remained the second biggest selling artist of the time (Elvis Presley was No 1)."Dot's Cover To Cover...Hit Upon Hit" tells the story with 30 cover versions and all of them hits. Among them, Green Door man Jim Lowe tackles Chuck Berry's Maybelline and Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes, Pat Boone digs into Fats Domino's Ain't That A Shame, Ivory Joe Hunter's I Almost Lost My Mind and Little Richard's Long Tall Sally, Gale Storm cuts Smiley Lewis' I Hear You Knocking, and Nick Todd rocks along on Danny & The Juniors' At The Hop.In 1957, owner and founder Randy Wood (then 39 years old) sold Dot to Paramount Pictures for $3 million (staying on as head of the company, which continued to prosper well into the 1960s). "It happened to be my desire to make records for the pop market" Woods told sleevenote writer Rob Finnis "Everyone said, 'You can't do it: it's foolish-.-you don't stand a chance against the majors', but I went ahead and made a couple of records and they sold!"
- 01 Preview Hearts Of Stone - Fontane Sisters
- 02 Preview Two Hearts - Pat Boone
- 03 Preview Maybellene - Jim Lowe
- 04 Preview Why Don't You Write Me - Snooky Lanson
- 05 Preview Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone
- 06 Preview Only You (And You Alone) - The Hilltoppers
- 07 Preview Rollin' Stone - Fontane Sisters
- 08 Preview At My Front Door (Crazy Little Mama) - Pat Boone
- 09 Preview Blue Suede Shoes - Jim Lowe
- 10 Preview Eddie My Love - Fontane Sisters
- 11 Preview Ka-ding-dong - The Hilltoppers
- 12 Preview I Hear You Knockin' - Gale Storm
- 13 Preview Seventeen - Fontane Sisters
- 14 Preview I'll Be Home - Pat Boone
- 15 Preview Why Do Fools Fall In Love? - Gale Storm
- 16 Preview Seven Days - Snooky Lanson
- 17 Preview Long Tall Sally - Pat Boone
- 18 Preview Ivory Tower - Gale Storm
- 19 Preview I'm In Love Again - Fontane Sisters
- 20 Preview I Almost Lost My Mind - Pat Boone
- 21 Preview Please Don't Leave Me - Fontane Sisters
- 22 Preview Chains Of Love - Pat Boone
- 23 Preview Lucky Lips - Gale Storm
- 24 Preview Young Love - Tab Hunter
- 25 Preview Marianne - The Hilltoppers
- 26 Preview Plaything - Nick Todd
- 27 Preview Raunchy - Billy Vaughn
- 28 Preview Get A Job - Mills Brothers
- 29 Preview The Joker - The Hilltoppers
- 30 Preview At The Hop - Nick Todd
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.