This, the first of 3 volumes, features the story of Joe Evans, who started out playing jazz saxophone (he played first alto to Charlie Parker's third alto in the legendary Jay MeShann band of 1942!) and wound up with his own 60s and 70s soul label Carnival. Always at the cutting edge of Black music, Joe filled the years in between working as a support musician with Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton and Sil Austin, acting as National Promotions Director for Ray Charles' outfit Tangerine Records and becoming a record producer for the tiny Cee Jay label. Seeing the future in soul music (long before many of his contemporaries), he set up Carnival in 1962. The label attracted a red-hot 'house' band of young talent - guitarists Eric Gale and 'Snaggs' Allen, drummer Bernard Purdie and bassist Jimmy Tyrell (later a vice president of Columbia Records), among them - and together they forged a distinct new sound. One of the singers Joe recorded was Barbara Brown and she was instrumental in bringing The Manhattans to Carnival. Joe shaped the group's raw talent and by their third single I Wanna Be, they had charted high (the song leached No 12 R&B, No 68 Pop, and was to be the label's biggest hit). They would chart another 8 times for the label and this CD (and Volumes 2 & 3 -CDKEND 118 &124) tell their story, as well as that of Joe Evans and all the other fine soul talent he recorded.
- 01 Preview Wishes - The Metrics
- 02 Preview She's So Fine - The Topics
- 03 Preview All I Need Is Your Love - The Manhattans
- 04 Preview Me, Myself And I - Norma Jenkins
- 05 Preview I Need A Guy - The Lovettes
- 06 Preview Forget Him - Barbara Brown
- 07 Preview Nobody Loves Me (Like My Baby) - Harry Caldwell
- 08 Preview I Love You More - Lee Williams & The Cymbals
- 09 Preview I'll Keep Holding On (To You) - Kenneth Ruffin
- 10 Preview Nothing Will Ever Change (This Love Of Mine) - Jimmy Jules
- 11 Preview My Love Is Yours Tonight - The Turner Brothers
- 12 Preview It's Everything About You (That I Love) - Lee Williams & The Cymbals
- 13 Preview I Wanna Be (Your Everything) - The Pretenders
- 14 Preview Love Has Passed Me By - Phil Terrell
- 15 Preview I Say Yeah - The Pets
- 16 Preview I'll Catch You On The Rebound - Leon & The Metronomes with The Kool Kings Band
- 17 Preview Can I Come In - Phil Terrell
- 18 Preview Come Home To Daddy - Curby Goggins
- 19 Preview I Can Tell - Little Royal
- 20 Preview I'm Gonna Be Missing You - Rene Bailey
- 21 Preview My Baby's Gone - The Tren-Teens
- 22 Preview I Call It Love - The Pretenders
- 23 Preview 'Til You Come Back To Me - The Manhattans
- 24 Preview Go Right On - Three Reasons
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.