Ram Records was the creation of the late Mira Smith. A multi-talented musician, studio engineer and songwriter, Mira made many fine recordings both of blues and hillbilly artists. Most of them came from her home town of Shreveport, Louisiana but, occasionally, she would record musicians and singers from places further afield. Many of the performances she recorded have remained unissued until today, not because of any deficiency in the recordings or performances, many of which are very fine indeed, simply because Mira worked on an indie label shoestring and had insufficient capital to promote more than a handful of singles a year.An awful lot of good music just stayed in the vaults. With her limited budget, Mira recorded such talent as bluesman Oscar Wills, better known as TV Slim, and his Flat Foot Sam and a young rock'n'roll star Linda Brannon, whose band included a very young guitarist James Burton (later to record and tour with Elvis in the late 60s and 70s). Linda later married country supersession player Jerry Kennedy, who also features on some of the Ram recording sessions. White blues piano player Roy 'Boogie Boy' Perkins was another find - his Drop Top (here in a previously unreleased first take) was Billboard's Pick Of The Week in February 1958 while his rocking Ba-Da gets a general release for the first time (it was only previously available in the 70s as a hard-to-find mail-order item). Sonny Boy Williamson is here with Mailman, Mailman, though this Sonny Boy is neither No.1 nor No.2 but a guy named Jeff Williamson, a tall, thin man with golden hair who found his disc strangely credited to Sonny Boy Williamson. Capturing the melting pot of sounds that were transforming the South of the 50s and early 60s, the music on Ram features the blues as they met country music, rockabilly and western swing and they collided with R&B and cajun as it started to mutate into swamp pop. Heady music from vintage times and volume one is only the beginning!
- 01 Preview Ba Da - Roy "Boogie Boy" Perkins
- 02 Preview Red Beans And Rice - Scatman Patin & The Ram Rods
- 03 Preview Cheaters Can't Win - Margaret Lewis
- 04 Preview Flat Foot Sam - T V Slim & His Heartbreakers
- 05 Preview Mailman Mailman - Sonny Boy Williamson
- 06 Preview Come Back Betty - Steel
- 07 Preview I'm Leaving - Linda Brannon
- 08 Preview Bow Wow Puppy Love - Jimmy Bonin
- 09 Preview Drop Top - Roy "Boogie Boy" Perkins
- 10 Preview Reconsider Me - Margaret Lewis
- 11 Preview Hippy-Ti-Yo - Bobby Page & The Riff Raffs
- 12 Preview Wherever You Are - Linda Brannon
- 13 Preview Pow Wow - Grace Tennessee And The American Spirits
- 14 Preview Let Me Feel It - Elgie Brown
- 15 Preview Girl In The Street - Vincent Williams
- 16 Preview Ginning - Scatman Patin & The Ram Rods
- 17 Preview Baby Please Forgive Me - Troy Webb
- 18 Preview What Did You Do Last Night - Rocky Robin And The Riff Raffs
- 19 Preview Night Creature - The Run-a-ways
- 20 Preview Any Way You Do - Linda Brannon
- 21 Preview Eager Boy - The Lonesome Drifter
- 22 Preview Lonesome Heart - Charlotte Hunter
- 23 Preview El Rancho Grande Rock - The Star Marks
- 24 Preview Lovers Land - Ernest Walker
- 25 Preview Louisiana Twist - June Bug Bailey
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.