There could be no finer introduction to one of New Orleans R&B's finest labels - AFO - than Gumbo Stew. This CD features classic material from Willie Tee, Barbara George, Tami Lyn, Alvin Robinson, Prince La La, Eddie Bo and, of course, Dr John. AFO (an abbreviation of 'All For One') was formed in New Orleans in 1961 by ex-Specialty A&R man Harold Battiste and fellow musicians - or executives - Melvin Lastie, Alvin 'Red' Tyler, Roy Montrell, Peter 'Chuck' Badie, and John Boudreaux. As hit-making session men they had seen a constant stream of white independent record owners pillage the talent that abounded in New Orleans. They hit the charts almost immediately with Barbara George and I Know (You Don't Love Me No More), which reached No 3 in the national pop charts in that very first year. However, chart activity was short-lived. Juggy Murray spirited Barbara away to Sue Records. AFO continued to release class records by young artists like Dr John and Eddie Bo, but in 1963 Harold Battiste moved to the West Coast where he went on to produce Sonny & Cher's I Got You Babe and Dr John's Gris Gris album. Compiled by John Broven (author of the classic book on New Orleans R&B Walking To New Orleans), Gumbo Stew is a long overdue in-depth look at one of New Orleans' finest little labels.
- 01 Preview Olde Wine - AFO Executives
- 02 Preview I Know - Barbara George
- 03 Preview Mojo Hannah - Tami Lynn
- 04 Preview Things Have Changed - Prince La La
- 05 Preview Tee Na Na Na Na Nay - Eddie Bo
- 06 Preview My Key Don't Fit - Dr John & Ronnie Barron
- 07 Preview Mary - The Tick Tocks
- 08 Preview All For One - Willie Tee
- 09 Preview Private Eye - Wallace Johnson
- 10 Preview The Pot - Dr John
- 11 Preview Keep On Lovin' You - Pistol
- 12 Preview Time Has Expired - Charles Carson
- 13 Preview I'll Make A Bet - Nookie Boy
- 14 Preview True Love - Robbie Lee
- 15 Preview I Found Out - Willie Tee
- 16 Preview Is It Too Late - The Tick Tocks
- 17 Preview Tell Me The Truth - The Turquinettes
- 18 Preview Tuned In, Turned On - Alvin Robinson
- 19 Preview Give Her Up - Melvin Lastie And Harold Battiste With Cornell Dupree
- 20 Preview Ignant - Cornell Dupree
- 21 Preview Empty Talk - Alvin Robinson
- 22 Preview I Shall Not Be Moved - The Pastor
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.